Questions You Can Expect on a Loss Control Visit
Here are some topics that are generally covered in a loss control visit. If there are any questions you can’t answer during the visit, be sure to get the answers and relay them as quickly as possible. An answer of “I don’t know” can be taken negatively.
- Detailed Description of Operations
- Any subcontracted work to others?
- Are certificates of Insurance obtained?
- Any significant changes in management or operations?
- Number and type of vehicles used
- Radius of operations
- Maintenance of vehicles
Exposures and Controls:
- Type of equipment or machinery used in operations
- Machine guarding adequate?
- Are material handling exposures managed?
- Any ergonomic issues?
- Height, slip and fall or confined space issues
- Total # of employees – full time/part time/average age
- Source of employee hire
- Employment physicals or drug testing
- Annual turnover
- Any previous layoffs or future potential for layoffs?
- Average wages / Average tenure
- Health benefits
- Early return to work / type of program in place