Exterior Spring Cleaning: 9 Spots You Dont Want to Miss!
With record breaking warm weather, spring fever is officially here and with it comes spring housekeeping! Completing tasks this spring could save you money in the future. Maintaining your home’s exterior will preserve its quality & function and perhaps even protect resale value!
- Painting: Do you have any painted exterior wood trim, decking or siding that is beginning to peel? Exterior paint on doors, moldings, trim, window frames should be touched up. Inspect & treat exterior wood for splintering, decay & insect damage because the temperatures are especially favorable for painting in the spring.
- Water: Do you have any water seeping into your basement? Usually it’s due to an exterior issue which may or may not be simple to resolve and it should be looked into immediately.
- Roof: Look for warping, aging, leaks, moss and missing shingles. Arrange for any needed repairs early; roofing contractors are harder to find during summer.
- Gutters: The fall leaves could be clogging up your rain gutters so the gutters should be cleaned and downspouts inspected. Cleaning your gutters is probably a chore you don’t want to actually do but it is easier than cleaning up water damage. If you find small amounts of sand near your downspouts this could mean your shingles are wearing out!
- Windows & Doors: Are any of your windows cracked? Is there any air leakage around the casing or joints? Are any of them in need of replacing?
- Decks and Porches: Do you have any wood decking which may need to be replaced or refinished? Are there any cracks in any paved or cemented areas which should be taken care of before they get worse?
- Siding: Is there any chance that there is moisture building up behind your siding which could cause rotting or damage to your home?
- Power Washing: Is there any dirt build up on your home’s exterior? How about debris built up in the crevices of your porches or walk ways? Power washing is a snappy way to clean up those outdoor surfaces!
- Electrical Outlets: Are your outdoor power sources free and clear of debris and you have enough outlets for your summer barbecuing needs?
Wisconsin residents, contact Kori Cumley for more tips of what to look this spring or to review your current policy and get a free quote.